Alyse Korn is a professional Jazz pianist, composer, vocalist and specializes in music education through the Suzuki method. She is a Doctoral Candidate in the USC Thorton School of Music, Jazz Studies Department, with areas of concentration in music education, music technology and film scoring.
Born into a musical family in Miami, Florida, she began playing professionally at the age of 14 and has since worked with a diverse mix of artists. She earned a BM in Studio Music & Jazz Piano Performance from the University of Miami Frost School of Music, and an MFA in Jazz Piano Performance from California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) Herb Alpert School of Music.
Alyse has completed and registered teacher training in all levels of the Suzuki Piano Method and Suzuki Early Childhood Education for ages zero through three years, and certification in Music Mind Games, a unique and engaging music theory system. Her piano students receive awards and honors in music competitions, including the areas of performance, improvisation, theory and composition. Alyse enjoys traveling nationally and internationally as both a teacher and performer. Visit her performance page at ReverbNation.
- Suzuki Piano & Suzuki Early Childhood Education Music Programs of Ojai: Founder, Director and Teacher, Ages 0 to adult, 2019 to current.
- Suzuki Piano School of Santa Clarita: Founder, Director and Teacher, Pre-schoolers to adult, 2000 – 2019.
- Alyse Korn Piano Studio: Founder, Director and Teacher, Pre-schoolers to adult, 1985 – 2000.
- City of Santa Clarita, CA: Seasons, Parks and Recreation Community Classes: Suzuki Early Childhood Education music classes for Parent, Babies, Toddlers and Pre-schoolers, 2008 – 2018.
- Pasadena Suzuki Music Program: Suzuki Early Childhood Education music classes for Parent, Babies, Toddlers and Pre-schoolers, 2019.
- Southern California Suzuki Summer Institute, Mount Saint Mary’s College, Chalon Campus and Scripps College, Clairemont, CA: Jazz Piano, Parent Education, Suzuki ECE, Music Mind Games theory, 2008 – current.
- Mount Royal Conservatory, Mount Royal University, Calgary, Alberta, Canada: Suzuki Winter Workshop, Music Mind Games workshop for teachers, students and parents, 2013.
- Sierra Montessori Pre-School, Santa Clarita, CA: Suzuki Early Childhood Education music classes for Pre-schoolers, 2008.
- Marshall Elementary Art Magnet, Title 1 school, Flagstaff, AZ: Music Mind Games theory classes, Grades K – 2, 2011.
- Suzuki Violin Studio of Shinobu Saito, Campinas, Brazil: Suzuki Early Childhood Education music class and teacher workshop, 2010.
- Dakotas Suzuki Summer Institute, Bismarck College, Bismarck, ND: Suzuki ECE, Music Mind Games theory, Parent Education, Provided Piano Accompaniment for String Classes, 2009.
- Los Angeles Music Academy, Pasadena, CA: Jazz and Contemporary Piano Class for Vocalists and Instrumentalists, 1998 – 2000.
- California Institute of the Arts: graduate teaching assistant, private and group classes, ensemble leader, 1990 – 1992.
- University of Southern California, Thornton School of Music, Doctoral Candidate, Jazz Performance, Academic field in Music Education, elective fields in Music Technology and Film Scoring, 2014-2016.
- California Institute of the Arts, MFA, Jazz Studies, elective field in World Music Performance, 1992.
- University of Miami, BM, Studio Music and Jazz, Jazz Piano Performance, 1990.
- Suzuki Piano Teacher Training: University of Redlands, Registered with Suzuki Association of the Americas, Levels 1 – 7.
- Suzuki Principles in Action, Suzuki Piano Practicum, Changes and Additions to the Suzuki Piano Repertoire, Every Child Can!, 2000 – 2015.
- Suzuki Early Childhood Education Teacher Training: Prenatal and Early Years, Stage 1 – 5, Post-Stage 5, Ottawa University, Kansas, and Thames Valley School, London, Ontario, Canada, 2008 – 2016.
- Music Mind Games: Unit 1 Teacher Trainer Certification Retreat, Aalborg, Denmark, 2014.
- Music Mind Games: Unit 2 Teacher Training Workshop, Bethesda, MD, 2011.
- Music Mind Games: Unit 1 Teacher Training Workshop, Northern Arizona University/Flagstaff, Arizona, 2011.
- Music Mind Games: Unit 1 Overview Teacher Training Workshop, MacPhail Center for the Arts/Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2010.
- Jazz Piano: Russell Ferrante, Faculty, Department of Jazz Studies, USC; 2013 – 2016, Alan Pasqua, Faculty, Department of Jazz Studies, USC; 2005 – 2012, Mark Levine, Faculty, California Jazz Academy, 1998 – 2000, Alan Broadbent, 1992 – 1995, David Roitstien, Faculty, Department of Jazz Studies, CalArts; 1990-1992, Vince Maggio, Faculty, Studio Music and Jazz, University of Miami; 1985 – 1990.
- Voice Training: Gina Saputo, Los Angeles, CA 2017 to current, Douglas Susu-Mago, Hollywood, CA, 2013 – 2016, Michael Dean, Department Chair of Vocal Studies, UCLA, Maria Dean; 2008 – 2010.
- California Brazil Camp: Summer Intensive. Instruction in Traditional and Contemporary Brazilian Music, Ensemble Performance and Dance, Cazadero, CA, 2010, 2014 – 2019.
- Banff Centre for the Arts, Banff International 2-Week Workshop in Jazz & Creative Music, Banff, B.C.; 1992, 1993.
- Alexander Technique, Private lessons with Michael D. Frederick, Carol Prentice and Babette Marcus, Alexander Technique 5-day Residential Workshops, Los Angeles, CA; 2005 – current.
- Brain Gym – Educational Kinesiology, Private lessons and Workshops, Los Angeles, CA; 2005 – current.
- Orff Workshop, Brain Rules: 12 Ways to Transform Your Teaching. Instructor: Doug Goodkin, Orange County Department of Education, Costa Mesa, CA; 2011
- CalArts Jazz, Alyse Korn, Refrigerator Blues, 1991
Waldo Valenzuela, Light of the Sixth Sun, 2012
- Music Teachers’ Association of California
– Community Outreach State Chair, 2009 – 2014
– Composers Today State Adjudicator Chair, 2005 – 2009
– State Improvisation Council, 2004 – 2006
– Certificate of Merit Evaluator
- Member of the Ventura County Branch, 2020 – current
- Member of the Santa Clarita Valley branch MTAC, 1996 – 2019, Served as branch Vice President, Treasurer, Composers Today, Improvisation, Community Outreach Chair and advisor for the Music Student Service League
- Suzuki Association of the Americas, 2000 – current
- Suzuki Music Association of California / Los Angeles, 2000 – current
- Music Teachers National Association
- Jazz Educators Network